Lodovico Sonego was born in Belgium on 20th February 1956. He received his degree
in philosophy from the University of Padua in 1981 with a thesis on economic theory while being already actively engaged in politics and administration.
- From 1978 to 1980 he held the position of councilor and local government minister and subsequently of local and provincial councilor and also served as member of a local public health committee.
- In 1988 he was elected to his first term as regional councilor and worked on problems of regional government.
- From 1994 he began his first as elected regional government minister for industry and transport which involved the handling of various complex cases of business in crisis.
- From 1986 to 1998 he was regional minister for employment and vocational training, carrying out the first regionalization in Italy of the employment services and bringing about reform of regional employment policy.
- In 1998 he was re-elected regional councilor for a third 5-year term and was concerned with political economy, proposing the first legislation in Italy aimed at the reduction of the rate of regional business tax (IRAP). He was also president of the commission set up by the regional council to evaluate the economics, efficiency, and effectiveness of regional spending.
- From 2003 to 2008 he served as regional government minister for roads, transport, infrastructure, energy and planning for the centre-left administration of Riccardo Illy. In this capacity he brought about various reforms: new town panning legislation, the regionalization of the port of Monfalcone, the regionalization and reform of the state-owned maritime property with tourism and recreation in view, reform of local transport and the first regional energy plan was approved.
- From 2008 to 2013 he worked as business consultant. In March 2013 he was elected to the Senate where he serves as member of transport and infrastructure commission.
He is member of the parliamentary assembly of Central European Initiative (CEI).
He is member of the national and regional assemblies of the Italian democratic party (Pd).